5  things I wish I knew before starting my Primary Education degree

I moved to London in 2015 to start my journey to becoming a primary school teacher. I’m now in my 6th year of teaching and here are my top 5 things that I wish I knew before starting my degree at the University of Roehampton.

1. The Library has incredible resources

Before you start your course, you’ll get a list of recommended textbooks for your lectures. You don’t need to rush to buy these brand new. The university library has many of these textbooks readily available to borrow for free using your student card. Alternatively, keep an eye out for reselling on student forums or pre-loved marketplaces such as Vinted.

2. Placement will feel scary but it’s an amazing experience

School placements can feel like a big and scary thing, particularly the first one, but if you ask anyone who has been through them then they are sure to tell you they are the most rewarding part of the course! You can learn so much. You get the opportunity to observe different classroom settings, ask questions and teach, all with the guidance of a supportive mentor.

3. You’ll get wonderful opportunities and experiences

University is a great place to try new things and say yes to new experiences that you wouldn’t have thought of. There are so many societies and clubs to join so no matter what your interest whether it be sports, theatre, film or languages there is something for everyone! Within my 3 years of university I got to meet and interview my  favourite childhood author, Jacqueline Wilson, sleepover under the dinosaur in the Natural History Museum and take a trip to Spain.

4. You’ll make friends for life

Whether you live in halls or commute to campus to attend lectures, the people you’ll meet at university will become friends for life. One of my favourite parts of Roehampton was that it is a campus university and I loved that I could bump into friends walking to lectures or heading to the Union for some food. Particularly on the Primary Education course it was easy to make friends because so many of our sessions are in smaller group sizes. These groups were also extremely helpful as a port of call during placement as you could share planning and lesson ideas together.

5. It goes so quickly

As I’m in my sixth year of teaching, I think back so fondly to my time at Roehampton and if I could do it all over again then I would! Each and every day I put into practice things that I learnt during my 3 years at Roehampton and I wouldn’t be the teacher I am today without the support of my lecturers, friends and the experiences I had on my placements during my course. If you’re starting your primary education course next year, good luck and enjoy every minute of it!

The University of Roehampton changes lives by helping our students to develop the confidence, knowledge and values they need for a successful and fulfilling life. We produce world-class research that helps us understand the world and change it for the better.