In Conversation with Malcolm Glover | President of the Law Society

My name is Malcolm Glover, I am a second-year law student at The University of Roehampton and President of the Law Society.

What made you want to study law?

I chose to study law because I am intrigued to how the law governs and guides everything we do in our society. I have always been fascinated by human behaviour and how the conscious decisions we make can lead to positive or negative outcomes. I believe the law is the glue that holds us together, supporting the idea of an ideal society. I am enthusiastic for the opportunities as a self-employed legal professional, representing prospective clients in mediation and court.

What do you enjoy most about being the President of the Law Society?

I enjoy leading a team of eight wonderful law students who share my desire for the success of the Law Society. We recently had our first debate night of the year; we invited academics to be judges and give feedback to students on their oral advocacy.

What has your role as President of the Law Society taught you?

Recent events we collaborated on with the law faculty, such as the annual law fair, meant we had an incredibly busy January. My role during these events as president taught me the practical benefits of time management, leadership skills and developing professional relationships with organisations externally.

What are the main highlights of studying Law at Roehampton?

There are many highlights to studying law at Roehampton, such as the infamous courtroom on the third floor of the Mandela building. The main highlight for me is how my lecturers are so close to the profession I aim to pursue.

In my first year, two of my lecturers were practicing barristers in property law, and in my second year I was taught by a barrister specialising in Maritime law. It is a real honour to be taught by practitioners as it has contextualised my learning past the classroom and made the aspiration of mine to be a practicing lawyer attainable.

Alongside being Society President, I present our society podcast called ‘LawCast’. On the podcast we invite guests from Roehampton such as our Head of Law School, Judith Bourne and our Careers Advisor Chris Naughton, to discuss what it’s like to study at Roehampton, the challenges of employability and the development of a new route to qualification as a lawyer known as the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE).

The University of Roehampton changes lives by helping our students to develop the confidence, knowledge and values they need for a successful and fulfilling life. We produce world-class research that helps us understand the world and change it for the better.