Take care of your mental health and wellbeing
Many of us have struggled physically and emotionally in recent months. While there is a seemingly endless list of things you could be doing, don’t feel like you need to be productive. The suggestions here are all optional and intended to be pressure-free ways of spending your time—should you want and be able to. We will offer you the support to transition to university-level study when we start in September.
Explore some the topics and themes you’ll study with us
Most courses will send out suggested reading for you to have a look over before you start. If something takes your interest, why not have a look on Youtube for related videos?
Listen to some podcasts
No matter what you will be studying, podcasts are a great way to learn something completely new. Some of our history team’s favourites are:
- Killing Time – Rebecca Rideal looks at dark moments from the past
- Dark Histories – another podcast taking a look at history’s mysteries and murders
- 1619 – a mini-series that re-examines the legacy of slavery in the US
- The Feast – a podcast about food and eating in the past
- The Ratline – a Nazi on the run, and the story of his fate
- Slow Burn – in-depth coverage of Watergate, the Clinton-Monica Lewinsky scandal, and the murders of Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G.
- History Hack – a daily podcast covering a huge sweep of history
- History Hit – you may have heard of this one? Another podcast covering a huge sweep of history, by Dan Snow
Get to know our Roehampton community
Many of our students connect and socialise through subject societies. We lecturers also look forward to staff-student quizzes, with the competition often fierce! Roehampton has its own student-run sustainability project–Growhampton–on campus, complete with its own cafe, The Hive. Staff and students are often found in The Hive enjoying fresh coffee and food cooked using the project’s own produce. Over the summer, why not try some of the Growhampton recipes at home?
The University of Roehampton changes lives by helping our students to develop the confidence, knowledge and values they need for a successful and fulfilling life. We produce world-class research that helps us understand the world and change it for the better.