Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs) are technical qualifications that give you the right training, knowledge and essential skills that you will need when you get into a company, industry or workplace.
If you’re interested in finding out more about HTQs, sign up to our webinar: ‘An introduction to Higher Technicals (HNC and HND)’ on Monday 4 December, between 5.30 – 6pm.
Approved by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education, these qualifications are great if you’re looking to upskill, retrain or gain Level 4 and 5 qualifications.
What’s the difference between a HNC and HND?
We offer two types of HTQs at Roehampton:
Higher National Certificates (HNC)
An HNC is a level 4 vocational qualification, which takes one year to complete (full-time). It’s the equivalent to the first year of an undergraduate degree.
Higher National Diplomas (HND)
An HND is a level 5 vocational qualification which takes two years to complete (full-time). It’s the equivalent to two years of study of an undergraduate degree.
Once you complete an HND, you’ll be eligible to enter Level 6 top-up progammes at Roehampton, which is equivalent to a final year undergraduate degree.
Start in January 2024
At Roehampton, we’re offering January 2024 HNC and HND starts for three subject areas:
- Digital Technologies
We are also offering a HNC and HND in Early Childhood Education and Care, which starts in September 2024.
Why study an HNC or HND at Roehampton?
Here are just some of the benefits of studying a HNC or HND:
- You’ll gain the specialist skills employers want
- We offer varied learning and assessment methods to help develop your academic and practical skills
- A reduced time-commitment – 12 hours per week, two days a week
- Accelerated qualifications (1 year (full-time HNC); 2 years (full-time HND)
- Lower fees compared to undergraduate degrees and additional financial support through our HTQ Scholarship
- You’re taught by industry-expert tutors using a range of methods including lectures, practical sessions, workshops and work-based learning
- You’ll receive university-standard student support, access to specialist facilities and resources, as well as outstanding library and careers services
There are multiple entry routes into a HTQ here at Roehampton:
Firstly, you can apply for the two-year HND programme within your field of study (Jan 2024 starters will be able to complete an accelerated 18-month course, starting Year 2 in Sep 2024), where you will graduate with a HND level 5.
If the first option is not for you, you may wish to apply for the one-year HNC programme within your field of study, where you will graduate with an HNC level 4. If you complete the HNC, you will then meet the requirements for entry onto an HND programme of study.
Thirdly, if you have already gained a HNC from another institution, you can apply directly for a one-year HND qualification, where you will also graduate with a HND in your subject area.
Entry requirements are all listed on our website. However, if you are a mature student, our admissions team will be happy to discuss possible alternative entry points with you on an individual basis.
If you’d like to know more about studying a HNC or HND at Roehampton, visit https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/school-of-continuing-education/higher-technicals/